Oceans And Continents :
We human beings are a small part of the huge planet, Earth. Earth is a vast planet which is made up of two major parts:
- Oceans – The Water Bodies of the Planet
- Continents – The Land Masses of the Planet
From small microbes till the big blue whale live in any of these 2 constituents of our huge planet. As digging into the history of the Earth, it was once a huge land mass with a big ocean surrounded all around it.
Now, the Earth is split into 7 Continents and 5 Oceans.
The Five Oceans are:
- Pacific Ocean
- Indian Ocean
- Arctic Ocean
- Antarctic Ocean
- Atlantic Ocean
The 7 Continents are:
- North America
- South America
Continents are huge land masses where living organisms live, walk and make a home of their own. Continents are made of countries; the culture, habitat, vegetation and people inside each continent differs from the other.
Other than continents, there are small land masses on Earth that are covered by water on all four sides. These land masses are called Islands.
Few facts about the 7 continents are:
- The continents North America and South America are together called as the American Continent
- The continents Asia and Europe are sometimes together called as Eurasia
- Asia is the largest continent of the world
- Australia is a single country continent in the world, also called as the Oceanian Country.
- North America lies fully in the Northern Hemisphere and South America in the Southern Hemisphere except a few parts which are located in the Northern Hemisphere
- Europe is famously called the Ancient Greece. Europe is considered to be the origination of Western Culture
Oceans are large water bodies that connect the continents of the world. Oceans are a medium to travel around the continents. The larger part of Earth is water, that is, 70 % of Earth’s Surface is covered only by water
Few facts about the Oceans are:
- The Pacific Ocean is the largest ocean which covers around 46% of Earth’s Surface
- The Pacific Ocean is larger than all land masses of the Earth combined together
- The Pacific Ocean is the peaceful Ocean; where lies the deepest point on the Earth, Marina Trench
- The Atlantic Ocean is the Saltiest Ocean; which is the living place for a lot of marine species (mainly the sperm whale which is the largest living toothed animal)
- The Indian Ocean is the Warm Ocean; the port of Singapore which lies in the Indian Ocean is the busiest port in the world
- The Arctic Ocean is the Shallowest Ocean; which is a house of endangered marine species
- The Antarctic Ocean is the youngest of all Oceans; which is considered a store house of natural resources like giant oil and gas fields and also valuable minerals